As scientists children will learn to observe the world around them in greater detail. We will be teaching the skills to research, explore and represent their findings in different ways.
They will be learning to work scientifically by:
- asking simple questions and recognising that they can be answered in different ways
- observing closely, using simple equipment
- performing simple tests
- identifying and classifying
- using their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
Children’s interests will direct the paths of enquiry that we follow within the following scientific themes:
- Seasonal change – observing the weather and seasons
- Materials and their properties – identifying and describing the properties of different materials
- Animals including humans – identifying, comparing and classifying animal groups, identifying herbivores, carnivores and omnivores
- Plants – identifying and naming common plants and trees and describe their basic features.
National Curriculum Link